The Same Day Surgery Unit at Memorial Hospital and Manor accommodates patients for outpatient surgery and eliminates the need for overnight hospitalization in most cases. Surgeries are performed routinely for orthopedic injuries, laparoscopic procedures, endoscopy, gynecological procedures, cataract removal and other eye surgeries, ENT procedures, and general surgery. Although most surgeries are performed on an outpatient basis, the medical resources in a hospital setting are readily available if the need should arise.
At least two days prior to your surgery, please call the Centralized Registration Department at (229) 243-6270 to make arrangements for your Pre-Operative Assessment, if your physician has not already done so.
On the day of your pre-operative appointment, please report to the Central Registration Department in the Emergency Room waiting area to sign the necessary paperwork. After the paperwork is completed, a nurse will meet with you for your pre-operative assessment. Certain tests may be performed including blood and urine testing, EKG, and Chest X-ray.
These tests may take an hour or more to complete, so please schedule your time accordingly. If you are not able to walk to various departments in the hospital, please bring someone with you to help.
It is very important for you to follow the instructions given you prior to your surgery, including arriving promptly at the hospital. Please feel free to contact the Same Day Surgery department at (229) 243-6157 if you have any questions about your surgery.
The following instructions are designed to help you have a safe and comfortable surgical and anesthesia experience. Please follow all instructions carefully.
- Do not eat or drink anything, EVEN WATER, after midnight on the night before your procedure, unless your anesthesiologist or physician instructs you differently.
- Infants may have clear liquids until 2:00 a.m., then nothing by mouth.
- Take any blood pressure, heart or breathing medication with a sip of water on the morning of your surgery, unless otherwise instructed.
- You may brush your teeth and gargle on the morning of surgery, but do not swallow any water.
- Please shower or bathe and shampoo your hair the night before or the morning of surgery.
- Do not smoke after midnight.
- Notify your doctor if you develop any sign of illness before the date of your surgery. Report symptoms such as high fever, sore throat or other infection, breathing difficulties, or chest pain.
- Valuables and jewelry should be left at home. If you wear glasses or contacts, please bring a case for their safekeeping.
- Wear casual, loose-fitting, comfortable clothing. A gown will be provided.
- Please remove make-up and fingernail and toenail polish before you arrive.
- Please arrange for someone to drive you home from the hospital. For your safety, you will not be allowed to drive home after sedation or anesthesia.
- A responsible adult must be present to accompany you home when you are ready to leave. Children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who must stay with the child until discharge
- If you have general anesthesia, you must have an adult at home with you for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- Your nurse will give you detailed instructions for your post-operative care at home.