Making Your Medications Work
Today’s medications are powerful and complex agents that should be used carefully to ensure a faster recovery and better health. During your stay at Memorial Hospital and Manor, the pharmacy staff is here to make sure that you receive the best and safest medications. Here are some tips from the pharmacy department on safe medication use while you are in the hospital:
- Bring a list of the prescribed drugs, over-the-counter medications, home remedies, and nutritional supplements that you are currently taking and show it to the health professional(s) managing your care.
- Bring a list of medications that you cannot take (due to allergic reactions, etc). Give the reasons why, and show it to the health professional(s) managing your care.
- When admitted, ask how to contact the on-site pharmacist.
- Ask the names of the medications that you are receiving during your hospital visit.
- Request any written information that is available about your medications.
- Question anything about your medications that you don’t understand or that doesn’t seem right. Be especially alert to unexpected changes, such as a change in the appearance of your medication.
- Ask your hospital pharmacist if you have any questions about the treatments or medications you receive.
- If you are too ill to follow these suggestions, ask a friend or relative to help.
Recommended resources for medication information: