Intensive Care Unit
Memorial Hospital and Manor has one of the most modern and efficient Intensive Care Units in this area. We realize that it is a stressful and emotional time when your loved one is a patient in the ICU. Our nursing staff strives to make patients and their families feel comfortable and secure. Since patients in ICU require constant attention and monitoring in a controlled environment, the ICU has stricter policies on visitation than other areas of the hospital.
Several inpatient and outpatient diagnostic services are offered in Memorial Hospital and Manor’s Intensive Care Unit. These include Resting Echocardiograms, Stress Echocardiograms, Dobutamine Stress Echo, and Holter cardiac monitoring, including both 24-hour and 30-day event tests. Nurses in the ICU also monitor patients in other units of the hospital through telemetry. The Echocardiography Lab services are provided Monday through Friday and are scheduled through our Scheduling Department at (229) 243-6299.
ICU Visitation Policy
We believe that maintaining family bonds with ICU patients can provide substantial emotional support for patients, which will aid their recovery. Our visitation policy allows immediate family only to visit ICU patients from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. No more than two visitors at a time are allowed and all visitors must be at least 12 years of age. An intercom is located next to the entrance of the ICU waiting room to communicate with ICU nurses. Please check with a nurse before entering a patient’s room to make sure it is an appropriate time to visit.
Visitor waiting areas are located on each end of the ICU, with a corridor connecting the two areas. Children under age 12 are not permitted in the ICU waiting areas. Telephones are located in each waiting room for family use. The extensions for incoming calls are 490 for the east waiting room and 387 for the west waiting room. Visitors may call the ICU nurses station at Extension 146 or 243-6146 to communicate with a nurse.
Please follow these guidelines when visiting ICU patients:
- Rest is important for ICU patients. When visiting, please sit quietly in the room and allow the patient to rest quietly. Please comply with our staff when they request you to leave the unit for brief periods.
- Visitors are asked to leave the waiting area by 9:00 p.m. If necessary, one family member for each patient may remain in the waiting area during the night.
- Families are not allowed to bring special foods to patients unless permitted by the attending physician since ICU patients are often placed on strict diets.
- Flowers are not permitted in ICU patient rooms.
- Patient’s personal items, including jewelry, money and other valuables should not be brought to the hospital. Patients may bring their own personal care items including toothbrush, toothpaste, hair and skin care items, and slippers.
- Information regarding a patient’s care will be relayed to family members by the physician.