Swing Bed Unit
The Swing Bed unit of Memorial Hospital and Manor provides transitional care for patients who, after acute illnesses, require additional care beyond an inpatient status. Patients may require rehabilitative services such as physical or occupational therapy to help them regain their strength and return home. The Swing Bed unit is a part of the Medical/Surgical Unit of Memorial Hospital and patients are admitted with physician orders. A Registered Nurse coordinates Swing Bed patients’ interdisciplinary care, which is provided by nursing, physical therapy, social services, and dietary.
- What is swing bed and who is it for?
- “Swing bed” refers to a hospital-based comprehensive program of care designed for people that have recently been in the hospital and have recovered, but need a little more help and care before they are ready to return home. Some examples of qualifying conditions would be people that have had orthopedic surgery and need rehabilitation, people that were acutely ill in the hospital and need more time to recover, or people that need long-term antibiotic therapy.
- Does insurance cover swing bed?
- Medicare Part A covers swing bed at 100% for 20 days. Other Medicare plans cover swing bed as well, but preauthorization is required. It is also covered under some commercial insurance plans.
- What services are included on swing bed?
- It includes nursing care, physical, occupational, and speech therapy, pharmacy and nutrition guidance, as well as case management to ensure a smooth transition back home. Your plan of care is designed specifically to your needs and preferences.
- If my hospital stay was in another hospital, can I still do swing bed in Bainbridge?
- Yes, you can! A referral can be sent to us from the hospital where your initial inpatient stay is for swing bed services. The swing bed care team would then review your case for admission.
For more information, contact our Swing Bed Case Management Coordinator at 229-246-3500 Ext. 464
Respite Services are available on the Swing Bed Unit, depending on bed availability. Patients with a physician order may be admitted to the hospital for respite care to relieve caregivers or family members who care for someone who is ill, injured or frail. Although there are different approaches to respite care, all have the basic objective to provide caregivers with planned temporary, intermittent, substitute care, allowing for relief from the daily responsibilities of caring for the patient.
For more information, contact our Social Services department at (229) 243-6100, Ext. 372.
Personal Care Facility
Willow Ridge, a 22-bed personal care facility, is owned and operated by the Hospital Authority of the City of Bainbridge and Decatur County. Located on nine acres, Willow Ridge offers a safe and secure environment for older adults who do not wish to live alone or for those who may need personal assistance with daily activities.