Memorial Hospital was officially dedicated on Sunday, April 3, 1960, and opened its doors to receive patients the following day. The 80-bed hospital was built under the Hill-Burton Hospital Survey & Construction Act of 1946. The Hill-Burton Act initiated the concept of local, state, and federal cost sharing of healthcare facilities and provided federal funds for construction and renovation of more than 9,000 medical facilities, particularly in lower income areas. While two-thirds of the money was provided by the Federal government and the State of Georgia, the hospital has always been operated by the Hospital Authority of the City of Bainbridge and Decatur County.
Active Medical Staff: 28
Consulting Medical Staff: 20
- Memorial Hospital opened April 4, 1960 with 80 beds.
- Memorial Manor was added in 1972 with 67 beds.
- Manor II was added in 1979 with 40 beds.
- Intensive Care Unit was built in 1986 with 10 beds.
- New Level II Emergency Department was built in 1993.
- Memorial Medical Center, a 26,000 sq. ft. office building, opened in May, 1998, at 603 Wheat Avenue across from the Decatur County Memorial Coliseum.
- Willow Ridge, a 24-bed personal care facility which opened in September, 1998, is located at 801 Faceville Highway.
- The Kirbo Women's Center, a beautiful, family-centered obstetrical and gynecological unit, opened in December, 1998, at Memorial Hospital and Manor with 8 LDRP (Labor/Delivery/Recovery/Postpartum) rooms, 6 rooms for gynecological patients, a C-section operating room, and two nurseries.
- Amelia Medical Plaza opened in April, 2013. Seven primary care providers treat patients of all ages six days a week at this new office facility.
- Hospital Hero Award to J. Sydney Cochran, M.D.. 2011 - awarded by the Georgia Hospital Association.
- Hospital of the Year, 1999, 2004, and 2008 awarded by the Georgia Alliance of Community Hospitals (GACH).
- First Runner-up, Hospital of the Year, 1997 and 2007, awarded by GACH.
- Community Leadership Award, 2008, presented by the Georgia Hospital Association.
- Rural Hospital of the Year, 1997, awarded by the Georgia Rural Health Association.
Member, the American Hospital Association.
Member, the Georgia Alliance of Community Hospitals.
Member, the Georgia Hospital Association.
Member, the Bainbridge/Decatur County Chamber of Commerce.